Term is a word or phrase used to describe a thing or to express a concept
Every word or phrase in a language can be understood as a term (generic usage). For this reason they are treated as Terms (specific usage case) in Ideaverse.
Examples of terms:
- public education
- free will
Terms have two main aspects - definition and usage.
Definition of Terms
Terms are defined explicitly by creating an instance of entity Term and filling in appropriate properties. Link to create Terms can be found here - Create a Term.
Terms have following properties:
- Text - the wording of the term itself. Usually this is the main language form of the term.
- Language forms - depending on a language the same term can be used in many different forms. For example a noun can have a singular and a plural forms - economy and economies. A verb can have following forms - exist, exists, existed, existing. Definition of Language forms for the Term is optional.
- Instances - each term can have different meanings depending on the context, every such difference in meaning is called Instance.
- Explanation - Full text explanation of the term. Extra details or information that did not fit into other structured properties can be added. Explanation supports Markdown syntax and can include other Entities.
- References - One or more reference to outside literature where further information can be found.
- Tags - One or more tags used to provide simple linking of Entities into simple ad hoc contexts.
- Url - sanitized name of the term to be used in technical linking of the Term.
Example Term can be inspected here:
- 1. have objective reality or being
- 2. be found, especially in a particular place or situation
- 3. live, especially under adverse conditions
Terms can be embedded into any full text explanation field by using following syntax:
#term([Url or text of the term])
Usage of Terms
Terms are used in Propositions by explicitly linking a word or a phrase with a Term and optionally Term Instance.
Relationships with other Entities
One or more Terms constitute a Proposition. This is equivalent to one or more word constituting a statement.